Friday 8 March 2013

Happy Women's day!!

Happy Women's day to all you Ladies out there!!! And if you are a guy, I hope you have done something to spoil that special lady in your life. If not, there is still time, and one way you can celebrate is by making these amazing cheese scones. They are super quick and easy to make, and taste divine.

I am a huge scone aficionado. I think the fruit ones are good, but my choice of scone will always be a cheese scone. Preferably still warm from the oven, served with a latte and some fresh butter. The best cheese scones I have ever had are actually from the coffe shop at work. They are huge, soft and fluffy. The best way to start the morning is to enjoy a cheese scone and a big latte. That comes with the added bonus of putting off the start of the work day with a few extra minutes. I am the queen of procrastination.

My cheese scones are a bit crumblier than the ones at work, I haven't been able to recreate the recipe exactly. I went through quite a number of cheese scone recipes to find one that works in my hands. Funnily enough, as much as I love to bake with butter, my scone recipe has no butter, only oil. This just happened to be the one I like the best. And it happens to be super easy and quick as well, which increased it's appeal in my eyes. From ingredients to fresh scones on your plate in less than half an hour.

Cheese scones (makes about 9):
1 cup grated cheese (I usually use a mature cheddar, but this time I used a mix of mature cheddar and a red cheddar with cracked peppercorns)
325 g self raising flour (or regular flour and 2 tsp baking powder)
1 tsp salt
125 ml milk
1 egg
50 ml oil (I use rapeseed)

The howto:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Mix cheese, flour and salt. Add milk and egg, and mix very quickly using a fork. Add oil and give a final quick mix. Be careful not to overwork the dough. Pat out to about 1 inch thickness and use a glass or cookie cutter to make round scones. Top with grated cheese (and egg wash if you can be bothered to make that extra step). Bake for about 20 minutes, or until scones are golden on top.

The verdict:
I still haven't been able to shake my cold that I have been suffering from for the last two weeks. I didn't think it would be too bad, but it has got worse with time. I have even managed to lose my appetite. Which is normal for other people when they are sick, but I don't lose my appetite. Ever! So this is really weird. I am having trouble finding foods I want to eat, so I thought I would whip up a batch of these scones as bread is one of the few things I can imagine eating. And they were even better than I remembered! I can only imagine what they would taste like if all my taste buds were working. They are crumbly and soft and super tasty. I don't have a coffee maker at home, so I had to settle for a glass of milk instead of a latte, but that was a perfect combination. And the milk added a bit of  protein which hopefully will help my body heal from this killer virus. As an added bonus, the scones filled my apartment with the most wonderful scent while baking.

In addition to baking scones, I have been continuing my journey into the world of card-making. The card in the picture next to the scones is one of my recent creations, a really simple one as I just wanted to try out a new stamp I got. I keep rationalising my card-making hobby by how much money it will save me as I don't have to buy any cards ever again. Of course, I have already bought card-making supplies for more money than I would ever have spent on cards in my entire life, but obviously thats not the point!







No comments:

Post a Comment