Monday 9 April 2012

Easter-y lemon and white choc muffins




This Easter turned out to be a baking and cooking cornucopia at the InvisiblePinkUni house. I am currently experiencing some sort of muffin madness, I bake them in any flavour you could possibly imagine. And yes, it goes badly with dieting, I'll tell you that much. I did haul my rather sizeable butt out on a 12 k run this morning to compensate a bit. Of course, if you want to make the muffins a bit less hazardous to your health, you could just leave out the buttercream, they are sufficiently heavenly without it. But my principle is, if you are going to sin, better go all the way. There is always tomorrow for dieting.

I have stolen the muffin recipe from a Finnish baking blog Kinuskikissa (that loosely translates to Caramel Cat). It is, in my humble opinion, probably the greatest baking blog out there in cyberspace. Of course, if you don't speak Finnish you might be at a bit of a disadvantage... Maybe give google translate a try? So the muffin recipe is adapted from this one for Daim muffins. (By the way, if you don't know what Daim is, I suggest you buy a bar of it next time you are in Finland or Sweden). 

Ok, so on to the actual recipe. This makes 6 large or 8 medium sized mounds of awesomeness.


75 g   butter
65 g   caster sugar
1         egg
115 g white flour
1 tsp  baking powder
           grated zest of one lemon
           lemon juice from one lemon
70 ml milk
           white chocolate
           lemon curd


Buttercream
60 g   butter
125 g lemon flavour icing sugar
30 g   Whittard's lemon meringue hot chocolate dissolved in a very small amount of hot water


The howto:
1. Preheat oven to 225 C.
2. Beat together butter and caster sugar until fluffy. Beat in the egg.
3. Mix dry ingredients with the lemon zest, and sift into the butter/sugar/egg mix. This is where you should, in theory, carefully fold the mixture using a spatula. I just mix for a few seconds with the electric mixer... 
4. Add lemon juice and milk and mix.
5. Spoon some batter into muffin moulds or a tin (I prefer silicon moulds), add a square of white chocolate, about half a teaspoon of lemon curd and then top with more batter. Leave room in the moulds, as the mixture will rise quite a lot in the oven.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until they look done. 
7. Beat softened butter until fluffy, add icing sugar and hot chocolate mix a little at a time until buttercream is soft. When you think it's done, just beat it some more.
8. Pipe buttercream onto muffins when they have cooled.


Each muffin (if you make 8 from the recipe above) is approximately 340 kcal (16.6g fat, 44.4g total carbs, 2.9g protein). Please note that the calorie contents are estimates only, and will vary depending on the ingredients you use. If you are as obsessed with calories as I am, I suggest you do your own calculations based on your specific ingredients. 


Verdict:
I loved the combination of lemon curd and white chocolate, if you are not into excessively sweet things you shouldn't be reading this blog... just kidding. You might want to leave out the white chocolate and just enjoy the fresh lemon curd on it's own. Also, I found the buttercream to be a bit too much, next time I think I will make the muffins plain without it. I used Silverspoon lemon flavour icing, and would not recommend it to anyone. How it was supposed to be lemon flavoured, remained a mystery to me. I think you are much better off using regular icing sugar and adding in some grated lemon zest and lemon juice. Never going to use that stuff again. That said, I don't think I will have a problem eating the cupcakes, I just think there is room for improvement. Which is brilliant, as it gives me an excuse to make there some other time. Hope you enjoy them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment